3 little Miracles

3 little Miracles

Sunday, November 15, 2009

MckLinky Blog Hop - Favorite Book

My fovorite book of all time is Louisa May Alcott's best known novel Little Women, this is the first book I remember my mother giving to me.  I remember her telling me this was her favorite book when she was my age and that I would love the characters as much as she did . . . . . . . and she was right.


It has been many years since I have picked up Little Women to read it, but I know I have read it at least a dozen times and viewed several film versions of the book.  What I remember loving the most about this precious book, is the relationship between the four March girls Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy and their neighbor Laurie (who becomes like a brother to them) as they are raised in Orchard House, in Concord, Massachusetts.   The story brilliantly weaves together these four totally different sisters, practicle Meg, unsettled rambunctious Jo, fragile homebody Beth, and worldly social climbing Amy (who is the pet of the family). Very quickly in the book they meet their neighbor Laurie, a young man having to play the heir's role of family when he would much rather explore the things in life that he loves.

The book opens with Marmee (Mrs. March) and the girls trying to celebrate a very frugal Christmas while Mr. March is away serving the the Cival War.  Right away you could tell how special the story would unravel just by how quickly you fall into the emotions of the characters.  Marmee as she tries to care for those even less fortunate then her family, struggles with how to make Christmas special for the girls while the weight of worry for Mr. March  is always on her mind, The four girls as they struggle with and realize that taking care of others is more important then their 'wants', and still in the end they all have an unexpectedly wonderful Christmas.

The book is filled with wonderful happy and heart wrenching moments that keep you turning the pages exploring the lives of the March's as the girls growup and begin their lives as married young women.  This is a book that you need to pick up for yourself or for some young girl this Christmas.  I know that I will have to return to Little Women soon, because now that I have posted about my favorite book of all time, I want to return to the March house and play in the attic with Jo, Meg, Beth, and Amy.

I hope you will enjoy Louisa May Alcott's BEST BOOK EVER Little Women!  Hop on over to MckLinky to find some other great books recommended by other bloggers.

MckLinky Blog Hop

5 comments:

  1. I've never actually read Little Women! I should pick this one up to read! Thanks for the great recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Women is an awesome choice. I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good book choice. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, here is mine. When I was a little girl my father would sit on the couch with me in his lap and read two books to me, one was Where the Wild Things Are. Between these two books I learned how to read and how to face life. Between these pages and my dad's voice is my childhood.


    The other book that was read to me and brings back memories is The Frog and the Toad. This book also keeps my mind and memories alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an extremely organized and well put together site. It is loaded with valuable information. Thank you!


    Grocery Coupons Free Online
    http://grocerycouponslist.com

    ReplyDelete