3 little Miracles

3 little Miracles

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Question? and a Recipe

So here is the question that I got inspired to ask my readers as I was cooking tonight.  What kind of cook or HOME Chef are you?  If there is anything that gets under my skin just a little about my husband, its how he works in the kitchen . . . . . then again maybe the way I work gets under his skin too, HA.  We have a fairly small kitchen so for me workspace is GOLDEN and very much needed when I am preparing a meal.
kitchen
SO when I get in the kitchen, before I even start chopping, prepping, and stirring . . . . . I empty and put away the dishes from the dishwasher if its clean or I load any and all dirty dishes so that my sink is clear and my work surfaces are uncluttered.
My husband on the other hand, when he cooks, it looks like the pantry and cabinets threw up all over our kitchen. IT DRIVES ME INSANE!  So which kind of cook are you, do you clean as you cook so you have less to do cleaning up after dinner OR are you like my husband (I love you darlin) and make a big mess as you cook and you don't care?  Is everything out,  messes everywhere, spills on cooktop, and you wait until later in the evening to clean up the mess OR you let someone else do it?  OR are you like me and you need a clean work space in your kitchen as you cook?

Leave me comments and let me know, because I really am curious if I am an insane Home Chef, HA

NOW for the great recipe that I prepared tonight from Paula Deen's Jan/Feb issue.
Paula's Beef Stroganoff 
(Makes 6 Servings) 













Ingrediants:
1 1/2 pounds cubed round steak, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon House Seasoning divided (recipe follows)
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, divided
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 (8-ounce) container sliced fresh mushrooms (I didn't use these, although I wanted to, becaues my MoG doesn't like them)
1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.5-ounce) can beef broth
1 cup sour cream
Egg noodles, cooked according to package directions and kept warm
Garnish:  Chopped fresh parsley
Stroganoff
1.  Season steak strips with 1 tablespoon House Seasoning.  Dust with 2 tablespoons flour, shaking off any excess.
2.  Slice medium sized onion into thin slices and set aside.
3.  In a large skillet, melt butter with olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add steak strips, and cooking on both sides until browned.
4.  Remove steak from pan, reserving drippings in pan; set aside steak strips, and keep warm.
5.  Add onion and mushrooms to pan drippings.  Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes, or until onion is tender.  Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon flour.  Return steak strips to pan.  Add mushroom soup and beef broth.  Cover, and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes, or until steak is tender.
Note:  I found it best to set timer for 20 minutes and go ahead and get my water to a boil for the egg noodles, then I prepared the noodles during the last 10 minutes of the stroganoff's prep time.
6.  Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon House Seasoning.  Just before serving, stir in sour cream.  Serve over cooked noodles. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
 Dinner is Served!
House Seasoning
Makes 1 1/2 Cups

Ingrediants:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Note:  Keep remaining House Seasoning conveniently located to season vegetables, sauces, coups, stews, and popcorn.
 
All clean and ready for an evening with the boys

1 comment:

  1. My cooking situation is just like yours, and yes, so annoying! Everytime my husband cooks, I am reminded why I usually do the cooking and cleaning. :)

    ReplyDelete