3 little Miracles

3 little Miracles

Friday, April 9, 2010

Pregnancy Journal - 11 weeks pregnant

How our baby growing:

Our baby is just over 1 1/2 inches long and about the size of a fig, is now almost fully formed. Her hands will soon open and close into fists, tiny tooth buds are beginning to appear under her gums, and some of her bones are beginning to harden.

She's already busy kicking and stretching, and her tiny movements are so effortless they look like water ballet. These movements will become more frequent as her body grows and becomes more developed and functional. I won't feel our baby's acrobatics for another month or two — nor will I notice the hiccuping that may be happening now that her diaphragm is forming.

How am I feeling and how are things progressing with the pregnancy:

We had a bit of a scare this past Monday when I began to bleed, it was like the heavier spotting a women gets at the beginning of a period (if she is lucky enough that it doesn't come in a first wave gush).  I had a pretty laid back day and actually been able to lay down for a nap around 3 o'clock while Jon napped and Davey watched cartoons.  I woke up around 5:15 and went into the kitchen to start dinner, then stepped into the bathroom for a moment.  That is when I discovered the bleeding.  I know some spotting can be typical in the first trimester, but I had never had spotting this far into the pregnancy, and I have had cramping (again not unusual in the first trimester) off and on since finding out.    So I tried calling the doctors office not thinking at all about the time and then realized it was after hours when I got the answering machine, so I made the decision to head to the ER. 

My husband met me at the ER and Mom stayed behind and watched the boys.  I SOOOO wanted my mother to be with me, but it just wasn't possible.  We were at the ER from 6 o'clock until 10PM.  They performed an ultrasound (which they wouldn't let me see) and a series of blood tests.  The blood tests came back fine but the ultrasound showed that I have a subchorionic hematoma, which is bleeding around the placenta.  Sometimes these hemorrhages can be large and at other times they can be small enough that they are absorbed back into the body with only a little spotting.  Either way the recommendation is no heavy lifting and rest as much as possible.  Some doctors at the follow up appointments will prescribe complete bed rest until the situation resolves around 20 weeks, but others will say continue on with your normal routine because whatever is going to happen is going to happen. 

At this time I have not yet had my followup appointment, it is scheduled for next Tuesday, at which time they will do another ultrasound to see how the hematoma is progressing.  The good news is that within 24 hours the bleeding has slowed to a "blush" and the cramping has pretty much gone away.  I am limiting my lifting as much as I can, and trying to make sure I rest as much as possible.  I have not stepped out of the house except to run to the bank Wednesday and pick up my mom in town Thursday.  If all continues to go well, I will probably attend church on Sunday morning, but that will be my limit.  My wonderful MoG even did the grocery shopping the other day for me because we both didn't think it was a good idea for me to do all that walking and lifitng things into the cart (like milk, cat food, dog food, etc.), plus Walmart doesn't have curb side service where someone loads things into the car for you, HA. 

So, our little miracle baby is still doing ok, how well I am not sure.  The ER doctor said the baby is measuring a week behind, and I am not sure if that can be normal or not.  So I wait on pins and needles for our first appointment next week.  Hopefully I will get to see the ultrasound this time and maybe even get a chance to hear the heartbeat.  Thank you for all of your prayers and sweet thoughts, it really does mean a lot to both of us to have so many prayer warriors across the nation and around the world.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear things are going well for now. I'll continue to pray that they stay that way.

    Hope you were able to attend church today!