3 little Miracles

3 little Miracles

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pregnancy Journal - 13 weeks pregnant

I am starting this week with How am I feeling and how are things progressing with the pregnancy because we once again had scare and a sudden trip to the emergency room this past Thursday.  ONCE AGAIN, I was in the middle of preparing dinner (I don't think this little one is going to be much help in the kitchen when she or he grows up), when I felt a sudden pop and knew something wasn't right.  I went into the bathroom and blood was gushing and I started passing large clots (at the time I didn't know that is what they were).  I called my husband to me and he quickly went into action asking the neighbor to stay and help my dad watch the kids while we rush to the ER.  I changed my clothes and put the clots into a zip-lock bag to take with us to the ER.
We checked into the ER around 6 ish, the ER wasn't very busy but was short staffed but they still managed to get me back pretty quickly this time.  After settling me into a room the ultrasound tech came and took me for a scan.  When I got back to the room where my husband was waiting on me I had to once again go to the bathroom because I felt more large clots passing.  I returned to my room and the nurse arrived to put an IV in, it was beyond painful this time, I usually handle the IV in the back of my hand pretty well but this hurt so much I couldn't keep from crying.  Of course this was the moment the doctor came in to ask me a bunch of questions as to why I was there.  Through my painful tears I said I was 12 weeks 6 days pregnant and was bleeding very heavily and having sharp pain.  He said,  "You've been bleeding for 12 weeks and 6 days?"  I said, "NO! I am 12 weeks and 6 days PREGNANT!"

When the doctor left a nurse came in and said the doctor wants to have a urine sample and will do a pelvic exam.  I told her I already tried to give them a urine sample and couldn't because I hadn't had anything to drink since before my nap around 2 o'clock but if they would give me something to drink I could give them something in a bit.  She told me I couldn't have anything to drink because they didn't have the labs back and didn't know if I would possibly need surgery (FOR WHAT?).  She then said they would need to do an in-and-out catheter, and I said NO WAY, they would just have to wait until I could go on my own.  As it was I wasn't looking forward to the pelvic, after all I am on a "no sex" medical order as it is and the very idea of an invasive pelvic exam didn't sit very well with me, it made me feel like it could only make the situation worse.
About an hour later they did the pelvic and removed several more large clots, then sent me back to my room.  The doctor came back about an hour after that and informed us that the ultrasound showed the baby was doing OK still but that it didn't mean we were out of the woods and I could still miscarry.  I know they have to say that but we are still claiming VICTORY in the LORD that our baby is fine and will continue to be strong in His Hands.  The doctor said the blood tests were also great and they were just waiting on me to give a urine sample to confirm the pregnancy and check for a urinary track infection, both my husband and I about lost it in laughter.  COME ON, your checking to see if I am pregnant after you just finished telling us the $600 + ultrasound you performed showed the BABY was doing fine?????  After I finished laughing up my gown sleeve I asked if I could have something to drink to help things along and they brought me two caffeine free sodas, I downed them and a half hour later gave them the much coveted urine sample.

After we heard the news the baby was fine, were both able to sit back and relax some, or as much as one can in an ER.  We started listening to conversations around us, laughing at things happening to me (my blood pressure cuff which I had slipped off kept pumping up on its own and looked like it would explode), playing Yahtzee, and giggling a bit at a patient a few rooms down from us who was wearing out the nurse with demands.  The nurse later came in and asked us to pray for her because of that particular patient, which we did.  IN all our ER visit lasted until just a little after 12 AM and we got home at 12:23AM.  We are so blessed that my adult niece Cassandra dropped everything to come and stay with the boys (my Mom was at a meeting when this happened and wasn't home) until we got home, she ended up staying the night and leaving for work from our place the next morning.

We are so grateful for God once again watching over us and protecting our little angel from harm.  We fully trust Him for the outcome of this pregnancy, but it doesn't keep both of us from being scared when something like this happens.  We had prayed it wouldn't happen again, and it did, and we are praying it won't happen a third time.  This time was so much worse then the incident 2 weeks ago, but this time even though I worried that this was the end of our little angel, I still had peace that God would get us through whatever we were facing that night.

I will followup with the doctor this coming Wednesday, but I am pretty much on complete rest until then.  Believe me it is hard for me to be on rest, because I am constantly seeing things that I would daily do, that my sweet MoG doesn't see as important to do.  I made an exception on Saturday to go out to dinner with my husband and take him to see Jeremy Camp and his wife Adie in concert (tickets I had bought months ago for my MoG's birthday), I will blog more about this later.  So pray we get good news on Wednesday and I will keep you posted.

How our baby is growing:

Fingerprints have formed on our baby's tiny fingertips, her veins and organs are clearly visible through her still-thin skin, and her body is starting to catch up with her head — which makes up just a third of her body size now. If weare having a girl, she now has more than 2 million eggs in her ovaries. Our baby is almost 3 inches long (the size of a medium shrimp) and weighs nearly an ounce.

How my life is changing:

This is the last week of my first trimester, and our risk of miscarriage is now much lower than earlier in
pregnancy although with my current condition we are more at risk of it happening. Next week marks the beginning of my second trimester, a time of relative comfort for most women who see early pregnancy symptoms such as morning sickness and fatigue subside, however the emotional and physical roller coaster for me keeps me tired and sick to my stomach most of the time. Many couples also notice a distinct libido lift around this time, but for us that doesn't make a difference because I am on COMPLETE pelvic rest.
So we continue to read and watch for our little angel's development and leaning on God and the prayers of our earthly angels to keep us going through the difficult days ahead.  I continue to talk to my little one and make plans for how we will decorate the nursery and trust God will allow us to hold her or him in October. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sooo glad to hear that you and your baby are still doing fine! The large blood clots MUST have been quite a scare. You and your precious baby are in my prayers.