3 little Miracles

3 little Miracles

Friday, May 14, 2010

Pregnancy Journal - 16 weeks

How am I feeling and how are things progressing with the pregnancy:  We are jumping for joy (well those around me are, while I do a standing still happy dance) in the Lord because of the good news we got this week.  Our ultrasound on Tuesday showed that the blood pocket between the placenta and uterus is "dead".  In previous ultrasounds they could literally see the active blood flow, but this week they didn't see the activity, YEAH!  The baby's heart beat was 149 this week.  The only other news they had for me, was that they did find a large fibroid during this ultrasound that they hadn't seen before, but it could have been hidden behind the placenta in previous ultrasounds.  They are not to worried about it, it could have been there from the start, but they will keep an eye on it because if it grows to fast it could impact the placenta and will need to be removed.  Overall I am feeling OK and looking forward to our level 2 ultrasound on May 24th, hopefully we will find out what the sex of the baby is.  I am also experiencing late pregnancy morning sickness, OH YEAH.  Before I was just nausea all the time, NOW I am actually have to make mad dashes for the bathroom or nearest sink or bush, NOT FUN.


How our baby is growing:

I am getting ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, our baby will double her weight and add inches to her length. Right now, she's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. Her legs are much more developed, her head is more erect than it has been, and her eyes have moved closer to the front of her head. Her ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of her scalp has begun, though her locks aren't recognizable yet. She's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, her heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as our baby continues to develop.

How my life is changing:

The top of my uterus is about halfway between my pubic bone and my navel, and the round ligaments that support it are thickening and stretching as it grows. I SHOULD BE feeling a whole lot better as I settle into pregnancy, but I am NOT if anything the nausea is getting WORSE. I should feel less nausea, fewer mood swings, and "glowing" skin contribute to an overall sense of well-being, so hopefully this will balance out SOON because I really don't want to run for the toilet every time I smell something that doesn't sit well with my tummy.

Soon I'll experience one of the most wonderful moments of pregnancy — feeling my baby move. While some women notice "quickening" as early as 16 weeks, many don't feel their baby move until about 18 weeks or more. (And if this is your first baby, don't be too impatient — you may not be aware of your baby's movements until 20 weeks or so.) The earliest movements may feel like little flutters, gas bubbles, or even like popcorn popping. Over the following weeks they'll grow stronger and you'll be able to feel them much more frequently.

0 comments:

Post a Comment