3 little Miracles

3 little Miracles

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Baby Girl and her visit from Big Brothers and Cousins {Hospital Notes}

Day 9

(transcribed from diary I kept in Rachel's NICU space)

Well today is the big day, my nieces Cassandra and Calli are going to bring the boys up to meet their little sister, they have moved Rachel to another spot on the unit (they call it a step down to a less "critical" care unit but still within the NICU).  

Her platelet levels are still a issue but the retest is still being held off until Monday (still not happy with it).

Currently she is taking in 45ml of breast milk/Enfamil combo by bottle w/ green nipple and has now moved up to 50ml  (36.3 grams down 8 grams)

Taking out IV fluids for now to see how she tolerates it.


The visit with the boys overall went very well, Davey seemed to be the most excited to see Rachel.

 
Jonathan seemed very upset in this photo and didn't really want to sit there.  He later revealed to me that he was upset because we said he was too small to hold onto Rachel (I am not aware that either of us said he couldn't hold her and I hate that he got that impressions).

I wanted to make sure that I spent some time just with the boys, so I brought several books to read to them and we also took them out for dinner.

My oldest niece Cassandra

My niece Calli was very emotional holding Rachel and kept saying "she's so beautiful" over and over.
Rachel truly is beautiful and I wish so much I could be inside each of their heads to truly know what they were thinking and how they felt hearing Rachel had Down Syndrome.  I also wish I knew how to explain to the boys about DS and know how they felt.  I have been carrying this by myself (or at least it feels that way) for over a week now and I just want to know how everyone feels.


0 comments:

Post a Comment