3 little Miracles

3 little Miracles

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A great recipe with SPAM

I know I know, most people see SPAM as a cheap nasty flavored not-real meat product and there are a lot of jokes about SPAM.  BUT, my mother used to make this great tasting Polynesian style recipe using SPAM when we were kids and we loved it and today my kids love it too.  So, I want to share it with you and hopefully it will be a recipe you and your family will enjoy too.  We double this recipe because we have a household of 5 adults and 2 growing boys, but these are the ingredients for one normal size batch.

Serve this with white rice prepared according to package directions, you can also use brown rice but we find white rice tastes best.  For serving purposes it is best to start your rice prior to preparing the SPAM dish so the rice is ready to serve when the SPAM dish is ready.
Ingredients:
1 can of SPAM
1 can of Pineapple Chunks
1 large jar of Maraschino Cherries, cut in half
Optional:  Red, Green Peppers and Onions (I leaves these out because my husband hates them)
Aprox. 2-3 Tbsp. of Corn Starch
Photobucket
Step1. Cube up the SPAM, (optional peppers and onions) and put in pan with a small amount of EVOO and let it fry for a few minutes until SPAM is seared to your satisfaction.
Photobucket
Step 2.  Pour pineapple chunks and halved maraschino cherries, along with their juice, into pan.
Photobucket
Step 3.  Dissolve 2-3 tablespoons of corn starch in a separate bowl with warm water, when completely dissolved add to fry pan.  This will thicken the juice of pineapple and cherries.
Photobucket
Step 4.  Bring to a rolling boil and then lower the heat until your ready to serve.
Photobucket
Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. I like SPAM too! I slice them thinly and fry them and then eat it with white jasmine rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, mom use to make this for us. However, ours looked a little different and there were NO cherries in it (ick) I miss that stuff...thanks for reminding me about it. Now I want some.

    ReplyDelete