3 little Miracles

3 little Miracles

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What's for Dinner Tonight from Pinterest

I, like so many others, am newly obsessed with Pinterest, and with that obsession I am pinning everything from decor, to fashion, to food I think looks yummy.  However, I have decided I am tired of just pinning it and I want to start actually trying it, so I am going to try the recipes I pin and review what I think of them.  Here is the one we are trying tonight.

Crock-pot Lettuce Wrap Recipe:


2 lb ground turkey
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
¾ cup hoisin sauce, divided (8oz jar)
¾ cup soy sauce
¼ cup water
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp hot chili oil (I did not use a full Tbsp.)
5 oz can bamboo shoots, drained, finely chopped
8 oz can water chestnuts, drained, finely chopped
14 oz can bean sprouts, drained
¼ cup fresh cilantro, snipped
12 crisp iceberg lettuce leaves
Brown ground turkey with chopped onion. Drain off excess liquid. In large Crock-Pot combine cooked  turkey and onion with celery, ½ cup hoisin sauce, soy sauce, water, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, sesame oil, chili oil, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Before serving, mix in a can of bean sprouts and cilantro. Serve by scooping a spoonful in the lettuce, drizzle with the leftover (¼ cup) hoisin sauce. Enjoy!

Review:  The prep time on this recipe took about 30 minutes with all the chopping and the interruptions from Miracle 1 & 2, HA.  I think overall the prep time would have gone faster and easier without the kids underfoot, so I think it is easy to get to the crock-pot and then just leave it alone for 6 hours to cook while you move on to other chores or playtime with kiddos around the house.  I selected this recipe first to try because tonight is open house at my sons school to kick off the school year and my parents are taking Miracle 2 & 3 with them to church, so we are all going different directions.  This will be easy for the adults of the house to scoop up the lettuce wraps and eat before going and I can make sandwiches for the boys.  I can't wait to give this a taste and let you know the full review.

Favorite kitchen tools that I used to prepare this recipe:






Pampered Chef Mix 'N Chop

Magic Chopper Vegetable Slicer, I love this product, it is easy to clean and makes vegetables an even size and it comes with two different cutting blades.  Dishwasher Safe.


Hamilton Beach Stay OR Go Crock-Pot

0 comments:

Post a Comment