3 little Miracles

3 little Miracles

Sunday, October 30, 2011

What's for Dinner Tonight from Pinterest

Tried another great recipe today from Pinterest and we loved it.  It's called Honey Sauced Chicken and believe me I needed an easy crock-pot recipe for Sunday afternoon lunch because I have been sick with a very bad cold and really wasn't up for a lot of cutting, chopping, and stirring over a hot stove, and this one was easy.  So the Pinterest recipe box came to my rescue.


Honey Sauced Chicken

(I doubled the following ingredients)
3/4 pound chicken (of your choice)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup chopped onion (or 1/16 cup onion flakes) *I left out the onions because of the boys
1/8 cup ketchup
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper, put into crock pot. In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3 hours or on high 1 1/2 hours. Chicken into bite size pieces, then return to pot and toss with sauce. Serve over rice or noodles.

To bake chicken as a 30 minute meal:
Dice chicken and season both sides with salt and pepper, place in 8x8 pan. Pour sauce over chicken and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.

Serves 2.

So while my husband was at church with the boys and Rachel was taking her morning nap, I managed to get myself off of the sofa and S&P the chicken and mixed up the rest of the ingredients for the sauce and poured it over the chicken, then turned it on low and went back to my prone position on the couch.  At 11:53 I woke up and realized almost immediately that although my sniffer was way off because of the cold, I should have still been able to smell something.  I went to the kitchen to discover that although I had turned on the crockpot . . . . . I had not plugged it in.  10 minutes later my husband walked through the door expecting that dinner would be ready . . . . . SURPRISE!  Lucky for us this recipe has an alternate 20 minute cook time in the oven, which is exactly the time it takes to cook the rice, so Sunday lunch just had a 20 minute delay, HA.

The only thing I would do different with this recipe the next time I prepare it is try it with cashews in it AND I will actually cook it in the crockpot because I think the meat will turn out more tender.  But even with the cooking mistake, the whole family loved it, including my most picky critic Jon.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment