This year I am doing all the Supper Club organization for the entire class, and for our particular group. All that means is that I organized each group so that they were not in the same clubs as last year so they could get to know new class members or couples they don't generally spend time with. Our first Supper Club for 2012 was at the C's house and 4 of our 5 couples were able to make it.
I try to keep things really simple for our group as far as the food so we aren't getting to fancy and we can all relax. I emailed the group what I was making for a main course, then suggested that the remaining 3 couples bring one of the following items to accompany, salad, dessert or drinks. The main course was White Bean Chicken Chili served with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and chives, we also brought a bag of tortilla chips to put into the soup.
The evening was amazing and we had such an amazing time getting to know the other couples better, two of the other couples we had never spent any time with at all. Our next Supper Club we plan to have a grilling party and a farewell dinner for one of our couples who have gotten orders to CA for their next duty station.
So here is the recipe for White Bean Chicken Chili that I have used many times before that I found from Taste of Home
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken, onion, oregano and cumin in oil for 3-4 minutes or until chicken is browned and vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mash 1 cup of beans; add 1/2 cup broth and stir until blended. Add to the slow cooker with the remaining beans and broth. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until heated through.
- Stir before serving. Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 334 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 1,063 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 24 g protein.