3 little Miracles

3 little Miracles

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Masterbedroom in state of Transformation

Several weeks ago I wrote a post about the reality of our bedroom HERE and the dreams I have for it.  The REALITY is that it has become a dumping ground for everyones things in our small home with little space for storage.  The reality is that it is not much of a sanctuary of peace for my #Mr and I except when we are up on our bed talking to one another.  So we are in the process of trying to change the reality just a little, to get rid of a lot of clutter and make our room our own again.  We recognize that with the square footage that we have in our part of the home we still will need to have a working desk space in our room, but our goal is to make it more sleek and functional.

Here are some photos of our transformation in process.

 We have painted our bedroom SW6477 Tidewater and the trim is high gloss enamel white along with the dresser(s).

We have had these dressers for almost 15 years now and purchased them originally from Lowe's and put a simple light honey stain one them when we first assembled them.  They are solid wood, when I decided our room needed a major makeover I knew theses dressers were first on my list.  We can not afford a lot, but paint and new knobs are within our budget and so I picked up the supplies and last week I began painting while our 2 younger Miracles were at school.  I still have to paint #Mr's dresser but 1 down ;-) 1 more to go.

I found for the best result it was best to paint with door and cabinet small rollers and I did tape off with FROGTAPE (best stuff for painting period). The FROGTAPE gave me nice clean lines inside my drawers so I did not have to paint the whole interior of the drawers.  I know that is lazy of me, but I use drawer liners anyway so I felt OK doing this.  I also taped off the back panel of the dresser since it was not visible and would save me time in having a finished product.
 Although I staged the picture to show the final look, I DID NOT put anything on top of the dresser for about 2 days or close my drawers all the way for the same length of time in order to allow the paint to cure all the way.  Although the paint was fully dry to the touch, paint cures at a different rate and if you place objects on un-cured paint or close drawers/cabinet doors fully, they will have a tendency to stick kinda ruining all the hard work you just did.

 Here is the rest of the bedroom, I truly do love this color in our bedroom, it is a lighter version of the color we have painted in the living room, but it's like sleeping in the sky it is just so peaceful.  We still have many things to fix and settle into place but we have a game plan

 We got rid of the curtains at our bedroom doors and frosted the windows and we LOVE it!! Wish we had done this a long long time ago.  We found the product on the spray paint aisle at Lowe's and I don't think we paid more then $5 for it.  The only bad part was the fumes.  I suffer horribly from migraines and when my husband frosted the door panes I was in bad shape already and add to it the fumes from the spray paint and I was out for a few days afterwards.  My recommendation is that if you take on this project for yourself and have the option, take your doors off the hinges and move the project outside, if that isn't an option, wait until a warm day and open up the house WIDE.  (My husband did FROGTAPE off the door so that the frosting wouldn't over spray onto everything.)  Overall this project was very quick and took a matter of a couple of hours with the taping taking a majoring of that time.
Some of our other room goals, you may have noticed from the photos that we took down our curtains at the windows and we no longer have carpet on the floor.  We plan to replace our window treatment with plantation shutters and long white curtains that go from floor to nearly the ceiling (the shutters are on order from Overstock.com).  The carpet we will be replacing with two runners for either side of the bed.  We have selected the Suzani Rug from Target (the pictures on their website are HORRIBLE for color) we plan on also using a larger area rug of this same design in the living room  just outside our bedroom door.
So that is our room in progress.  I told you I wouldn't hide or lie about what the reality of our life was like.  There isn't any such thing as photoshop that can hide the truth of our storage issues.  We just have to work through them, sell off some junk we no longer need, shred some papers we no longer need, and find new homes for things we still need.  I used to have two plastic file cabinets on either side of the desk I built for my husband for his 40th birthday.  Well I re purposed one of them for my sewing supply storage and moved it back to #R's closet for now until our closet is finished.  The other file cabinet I literally broke down and created storage bins for my homeschool supply shelves (which I will show you in another post some time).

The next step in our bedroom besides painting #Mr's dresser is building a headboard based on my inspiration headboard in this image.
photo credit:  one of my favorite Instragram feeds @the_real_houses_of_ig
So keep coming back for more updates, hopefully this weekend we will make some more progress to show you something good.


Post a Comment