3 little Miracles

3 little Miracles

Friday, January 29, 2010

Show Us Your Life - Fashion Tips

 
Kelly's activity for today in her Show Us your Life series is - Fashion Tips.  Now I will be TOTALLY honest, I am not a fashionista by any means, nor do I have the body to really be one.  But over the years I have found the things that work for my plus size figure and gathered even more information from places like MyShape, Fashion-411 and the show What Not to Wear MyShape really is my favorite, because you literally plug in your measurements and the styles you lean toward, I am more classic, romantic, with a touch of trendy fashions.  MyShape will make suggestions and provide sources for clothes that flatter YOU. Do I buy from them all the time? NO WAY!  But, I use MyShape's fashion suggestions to buy in some of my local stores and find outfits that model after their suggestions.

Believe me over the years I have made some stupid fashion mistakes trying to dress like smaller woman and trying to cover myself to hide my figure, but I just can't do it  anymore and so over the years I feel like I have found what works and I am sticking to it.  For my day to day SAHM style you will find me in jeans and a comfortable shirt OR you will find my in my workout gear on gym days (MWF).  I dress for my comfort plain and simple and I don't really care if someone else is impressed or not.  I wear very light makeup on days I am not at the gym(I don't wear any at all to the gym), and you will generally find my hair pulled back into a hair clip because I really can't stand to have my hair flopping into my face, I am thinking of cutting it again.  BUT staying on Target with the topic, here are my four fashion tips for plus size ladies or ladies with softer curves like myself ;-)

#1 thing I have found that works for me, V-neck or open neck lines, the less pattern the better.  This takes the focus off my multiple chins and ugly thick neck.  YES I can say that about myself, because I am honest with myself and because I am working on getting rid of both of these body issues, HA.  I mostly wear 3/4 length sleeves and cap sleeves, but I am not afraid to wear a tank top and show my arms, my arms are what they are for now.  AND if you ever saw my wedding dress, you would know I am not afraid to show my arms (my wedding dress was a halter style).
 
 
And dresser tops like these from Jessica London 
#2 I wear DARK colored jeans that are long and have a boot cut, this lengthens my rather short 5'3" pudgy frame I make sure when I am buying jeans, they don't have a lot of detail or flapped pockets on the back, I don't need extra baggage.  I also don't like jeans that have details on the legs, or cargo pockets, again the idea is to draw the idea down the body length and make me seem longer.  My favorite jean is one I found at Belk by Kim Rogers.
Warmer months I am found wearing these style pants most of the time
both of these can be found at J.Jill
#3 I wear dresses that follow my plus size hourglass form instead of adding extra material or SAC like dresses that just make me look larger because of all the extra fabric.  I LOVE wrap dresses and dresses that speak of classic styles.  I can say of most of my dresses, that even as I loose weight, I will have them altered and keep them for many years to come because they are well made and speak of fashion style that will last forever.
Here are just a few of my favorites from my closet
Photobucket
Top Left to Right:  Coldwater Creek, Cato, Jessica London
Bottom Left to Right:  Target, Ulla Popkin, and Crossing Point 
(this company is no longer in business)
#4 Jewelry.  Fact is I don't wear a lot of jewelry, on a daily basis I wear a small pair of basic silver hoops or small silver studs with my birthstone in them.  The only other jewelry I wear on any regular basis is my Pandora bracelet with my Southern Living at HOME charms on them or my silver charm bracelet that I have been adding charms to for 14 years now.  I tend to be like a lot of pieces by a company called Silpada.

  • Opt for a monochromatic outfit where your top and skirt or trousers are the same color or hue.
  • Wear blazer and cardigans long and unbuttoned for maximum vertical lines.
  • Oblong scarves are a great accessory when  tied loosely around the neck, creating a long, vertical line.
  • Match pantyhose hue to skirt or pant and shoe color to create a slender silhouette.
  • Avoid chokers,  long necklaces or pendants are more slimming.
  • Choose shoes with at least a 1 inch heel -- the taller the better.
  • Elongate the neck with open necklines such as v-necks, sweetheart necklines and vertical cowl necks.
Like I said, I am not a fashionista, I just try to dress to flatter my figure as best as I can without giving away the FARM.  I believe I dress for my age most of the time, and currently I am pretty happy with the styles I choose for myself.  I hope you enjoy some of my resources and styling guides.  Hope on over to Kelly's Korner to see what other's have to say in regards to Fashion Tips. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment