3 little Miracles

3 little Miracles

Friday, March 19, 2010

Pregnancy Journal - 8 Weeks Pregnant

How your baby's growing:

New this week: Webbed fingers and toes are poking out from our baby's hands and feet, his eyelids practically cover his eyes, breathing tubes extend from his throat to the branches of his developing lungs, and his "tail" is just about gone. In his brain, nerve cells are branching out to connect with one another, forming primitive neural pathways. I may be daydreaming about my baby as a girl, but the external genitals still haven't developed enough to reveal whether I am having a boy or a girl. Either way, our baby is about the size of a kidney bean — is constantly moving and shifting, though I still can't feel it.


How am I feeling?

I am still feeling fantastic.  Sleepy . . . . . YES, still a little nauseous . . . . . YES, but otherwise GREAT.  I am keeping up with my workout schedule 3 days a week and trying to already keep track of my blood sugars because I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy.  I FINALLY got my OB appointment after MUCH frustration and finally going off on someone a little.  We will have out first "intake" appointment next Friday, but we won't have our first ultrasound and exam for another week or so after that.

The OB that I have worked with for my previous two pregnancies and does my yearly gynecological care, had put into place a new policy that they will no longer take care of high risk pregnancies.  However, they are still working through all the kinks of implementing this new policy and I am their first patient that falls into this category.  As a result, for the past two weeks I have been bumped from one person to another, and put off because they didn't really know HOW to move me onto the next step and connect me properly with the facility that I will be at (WHICH IS 2 hours + away).   

I hated that ONE, they wouldn't even give me a basic exam and ultrasound.  I hated that TWO, they treated me like I already had a doomed pregnancy because I am 41 and not starting at a healthy weight, even though they did not YET have any other indications that something is wrong (NOR SHOULD THEY ASSUME THERE IS). I hated that THREE, that instead of the doctor telling me first hand that his findings with my records indicated that I needed more supervision and care throughout my pregnancy then they could provide, he allowed his staff (inexperienced with the new policy) be the ones to inform me.  I hated that FOUR, they did not allow me to be treated here closer to home until such point in my pregnancy that they felt something was of concern that I needed to be referred to the facility that had the ability to handle my pregnancy complications (IF they arise) instead of me having to drive two hours away for the next 7+ months. 

I am ready to move on to a positive place in my pregnancy and experience the joy that I should be feeling, along with being sleepy, and sometimes nauseous.  I AM filled with great joy over this little tiny blessing within me, please don't get me wrong.  However, my past experience with finding out, having my first exam, and moving forward into the long months ahead as the baby grew within me on my previous two pregnancies. . . . . started on a much more positive and encouraging place and I am ready for that with this little one.  He has planted this child within me, He has given us this gift, and He WILL provide for my babies protection, all the details, and our safety in travel in the 7 months ahead.

0 comments:

Post a Comment