3 little Miracles

3 little Miracles

Monday, February 1, 2010

About 20 Years Ago

The MckLinky Blog Hop this week is about what you were doing in your life 20 years ago.  I thought this would be a great activity to really look at how I have changed and how God has impacted my life over the past 20 years and give you a little more of a window into who I am.  

What were you doing?  I was working for the Disney Store in Connecticut and had just transferred to a new store in another state 640+ miles away.  I was 21 years old and working as a Stage Manager (cute title for a floor manager) helping to train a new store staff for the Disney Company in their mall Disney Stores and trying to figure out life on my own.
Where were you? Living by myself in a small apartment in Winston-Salem, North Carolina and working at the  Disney Store  (I think this store is closed now) in the Hanes Mall.



What direction were you heading?  At that time I really didn't have a direction other then hoping to climb the ladder of management within the Disney Company, I even had a dream of one day moving to Florida and working in the park.  I had tried college right after high school at the University of Oklahoma', but I was so far away from my family in Connecticut, that the stress increased my problems with migraines and they got so bad that I left school after finishing the first year.  After returning to Connecticut, I got hired by the Disney Company at their store in the Danbury Fair Mall and after a few years I heard they were opening a store in Winston-Salem, North Carolina and I knew my parents would be retiring in NC so I figured to make my move ahead of them and settle in to life on my own.

How is your life different now then what you THOUGHT it would be? I always pictured myself being a SAHM like my mother was, but I just didn't imagine the VERY LONG long path of life that it took to get here.  I really thought I would meet someone during my early college years right out of HS and settle down, so when that didn't happen I started dreaming of the career.  I started changing my mind set and thinking I would do well out on my own and make a career with the Disney Company.  However, the Lord had other plans and when my parents moved to NC to build their retirement home, they invited me to move back with them and return to community college.  The decision to move back with my parents and finish my college education led to meeting my dear MoG.  I think like most young people I imagined the life that TV and Movies depicted for woman in the 80's, a life of a successful career AND a family too.  BUT, I discovered through God's leading, that although a successful college education and a few years of working were to be a part of my life, HIS big picture for me included my being a Stay at HOME MOM.  Imagine my surprise when God waited until my late 20's for me to meet my future husband, for us to get married when I was 31, and then waited until I was 35 before He blessed us with a child.  My life is so much RICHER for the path that God lead me on, so much better then what I could have imagined for myself.

The past 20 years have had a LOT of ups and downs, moments in my life that I wish had never happened.  BUT God is using those moments that I wish I could erase to impact others now . . . . . so it was totally worth it if I can touch someone for God because of my testimony.

So the question is what were YOU doing 20 years ago?  What journey has God taken you on over the past 20 years?  If you want to face these questions and see the mile markers of your walk with God, then make a blog post and share with MckLinky.

MckLinky Blog Hop

5 comments:

  1. Great Idea! 20 years ago..I was in Grade 7, 12 years old. Wow...now I feel old!

    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pics are very cool of you at the Disney Store, I would have loved working there. I was sixteen and trying to figure out who I was, partying too much and doing dumb stuff. God has been very good to me since. Luv him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful! life takes such strange turns for us, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post - I was in my 30's with my girls were born too - If it happened in my 20's - I probably would have gone nuts..lol I needed to grow up to be the grown up.

    Love to you
    Kelly
    http://www.amazingsalvation.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! I'm visiting from the blog hop! I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete